Carer's Allowance – Active Mobility Ltd

Carer's Allowance

Carer’s allowance is paid out to someone who cares full time for another person. While many people care for a family member who lives at the same property – a child, partner, or parent for example – there is no requirement for the carer to care for a relation. Furthermore, you do not have to live in the same property as the person in receipt of care.

Are you entitled to claim?

There are certain conditions that must be met if you wish to claim the carer’s allowance. Firstly, you must spend a minimum of 35 hours every week caring for someone who is disabled in some way. As mentioned previously there is no need to live in the same property as they do; however, a full 35 hours every week must be spent with them to claim. The person you are caring for should also be in receipt of:

  • Attendance Allowance
  • Constant Attendance Allowance of at least the standard maximum amount
  • Disability Living Allowance (this must be paid to at least the middle rate or higher regarding the care element)
  • Constant Attendance Allowance of at least the full day (otherwise known as the basic) rate.

Be sure to read the up-to-date information on these allowances to ensure the disabled person is receiving a relevant benefit to determine your qualification for the carer’s allowance.

Can you apply for carer’s allowance at any time?

As stated above, you must meet certain conditions to be considered for carer’s allowance. If you do not meet these conditions you will not receive the allowance. You must also be sure one of the above allowances or benefits is being paid to that individual. If this is not the case, you should wait until they do apply and have been notified that the relevant benefit shall be paid to them. 

In any event you should apply as quickly as possible once you know the conditions for payment have been met. This is because you can receive a backdated allowance if you have already been caring for a disabled person for a period. You must claim within three months of the relevant payment being made to the disabled person you care for, to avoid losing out on the backdated payments where relevant.

Does it matter if you are earning income from a job?

You should not be receiving more than £128 a week in earnings from any job or jobs you may currently have. This figure is worked out after deductions are taken away for income tax and National Insurance. However, if you receive an income from one or more pensions that are related to an occupation or are paid to you privately, these are not included. Finally, a carer cannot be in full-time education and make a claim for carer’s allowance.

To find out more details and how to apply for carer's allowance

Posted by

Tracy Suther